Sunday, April 21, 2013

Update about his hearing.


I realized today that I hadn’t updated about how my son’s hearing had gone.  It was uneventful.  He didn’t even appear before the judge.  The two attorneys went into a back room and talked briefly, and when they came back in his attorney asked to set a preliminary hearing date for the end of May. My son’s attorney is a public defender and it seemed to me that he hadn’t spent much time even looking at my son’s case before court.  I’m sure they’re overworked and underpaid.  So, anyway, that’s it in a nutshell.  His preliminary hearing is set for the end of May.  He will enter a plea then, and the prosecutor will recommend a sentence.  I’m not sure how to feel about it all.  My stomach seems to tie itself up in knots the before a hearing no matter how much I try to calm my anxieties.

 I have to look at the extra time between hearings as a good thing because it gives him more time to try to find a job.  I’m sure it will look better for him if he has a job and is being productive.  He’s finding though, that jobs are not easy to come by when you have court hearings pending and an arrest record.  These are the consequences of his addiction, and they are harsh.  I ache for him, but at the same time realize I am powerless over the outcome.  I’ve written letters of support to the prosecutor, and so have several others, but that is about all I can do. 

I continue to enjoy spending time with my son now that he’s sober.  I don’t know what the future holds, and I’m not meant to know.  I’ll just keep on taking one day at a time, with faith.  

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a great thing that he now has more time to find work! It's so hard, I know, but try not to worry. He's in a good, safe place right now. I'll be praying he finds a job soon.

    ReplyDelete