Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Letting go, a work in progress

“To let go doesn’t mean to stop caring; it means I can’t do it for someone else.  To let go is not to cut myself off; it’s the realization that I don’t control another.  To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.  To let go is not to try to change or blame another; I can only change myself.”  -Anonymous

I found this piece about letting go in a book I am reading.  I wish I could give credit to the author, but as you can see it was written anonymously.  I guess it spoke to me because that’s what I’m working on right now-learning to let go.  Anyone who follows my blog knows that I’m definitely a work in progress as far as letting go.  I let go, I take back, I let go, I take back……you get the picture.  The idea of letting go was so foreign to me when I first heard about it in Alanon, I couldn’t even imagine how it could be done.  I’m coming to realize though, the wisdom in learning when to just let go.   I pray each day that the Lord reveal to me and help me remove the things within that keep me from finding the peace He died to give me. I’m finding that trust and letting go are right at the top of my list. 

I’m not by any means throwing my hands up and saying I give up on my son.  I already see the Lord working in his life to strengthen his faith and give him courage.  I’ll be there for him every step of the way for emotional support, but I just have to learn when to step back and let the Lord take the wheel.  So today I pray, “Take the wheel Lord, I’ll try my best to stay in the passenger seat and trust that you’re a much better driver, and see the road ahead much more clearly than I do. Amen”


No comments:

Post a Comment