Sunday, August 26, 2012

Precious Moments


As parents we all have moments that we want to freeze in time.  Moments in which we wish we could make time stand still just so we can savor its beauty.  The first time it happened with my son was when I held him in my arms just after his birth.  That was the exact moment in which I learned the meaning of unconditional love.  I remember  staring at his face and wanting to remember every detail of that moment.
            We went to visit my son at rehab again on Saturday, and the only way I can describe it, is to say it was a holy experience.  He and another of the guys there have taken it upon themselves to lead a Bible study on Saturdays.  Since he knew I was coming to visit,  he waited until I got there for the study so I could witness it.  I am so glad that he did.  As I sat and watched my son read the Word, quote scripture and talk about how the Lord is working in his life, I was overcome with gratitude.  I felt gratitude for the work I see Christ doing in my son’s heart and mind.  I was grateful that my son is able to feel "normal" again without the use of drugs.  Four months ago he could barely function without being high.  I felt humbled as I watched my son share his story and try to help others from the lessons he is learning.  It was truly an answer to my prayers, even beyond my expectations.
            The Bible study group he led was small. There were only about 5 of them, all of them lost souls trying to find their way back to sanity.  As the guys who chose not to join in buzzed around about their own business, cracking jokes and being rowdy, my son sat there quietly oblivious to all the commotion, speaking God’s word. 
            Even if, at some point down the road, my son stumbles and relapses, I will treasure my visit to him on Saturday for the rest of my life.  For just that moment in time, I had my son back.  He was whole, and healthy, and wanting to help others and serve the Lord.  Priceless.  Thank you Lord, for helping my son to  remember what it is like to find peace without drugs, and to help others through his suffering.

Jas 1:12: Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment