My son’s court appointed attorney’s office called today and said the prosecutor had agreed to court ordered drug rehab. For one brief moment, my heart soared. I knew my son would have to do prison time, and hoped that the court would order rehab to be included as part of his sentence. Then, came the left-jab. In order for him to go to the rehab facility we would have to post bail. Bail is set at $10,000 so our 10% would be $1000. They would transport him from the county jail to the rehab, but after he completes rehab, he would not be returned to jail, but would be free until his court date. That’s what worries me.
Here are the two arguments that are going on inside of my head right now:
- Don’t post bail: My fear- he will complete rehab, relapse, miss his court date and not only would we be out $10,000, he would be in worse shape than he is now.
- Go ahead and post bail: But then I think, if we paid for rehab out of our pocket we would pay at least $10,000 anyway. I want to feel like I’ve given him every chance at breaking free from his addiction.
I haven’t talked to my son about the offer for rehab yet. He wrote in his last letter that he knows he needs rehab and is ready to get clean, but even he thought he would be escorted from the rehab right back to jail. He didn’t know we would have to post bail. In my worst nightmare it didn’t occur to me that rehab would be offered with this heart-wrenching decision attached. To post the bail and take the chance, or say “no thanks” and make him stay in jail where he will have no chance of getting any kind of treatment for his addiction. I hate addiction. I feel like every decision I make is life or death. Please pray that God gives me wisdom in making this decision.